10 February 2009

Mi movi está en Barcelona!

It’s been a while since I have written, but here are some updates…

This past weekend I went to Barcelona – the second largest city in Spain. It took 8 hours to get there by bus from Madrid. The group that traveled decided that it would be best to take the overnight bus that left at 11pm and arrived at 7am. This was very difficult for me because as many of you may know I cannot sleep on buses. But, we got to Barcelona ok and found our hostel after about an hour and a half and took a four-hour nap. Woke up to a beautiful city and the weather stayed nice the entire weekend.

There were a lot of things to see and we had little time. Barcelona is a very touristy city so a lot of people spoke English, even though the language there is Catalan – a mixture of Spanish and French, which sounds nothing like Spanish. Luckily we could manage on the Spanish and English.

The first day was really just a day to adjust to the city – we had a great 10 euro 3-course meal by the beach close to our hostel and walked around the city for a little bit. We took a bike tour up to the Sagrada Familia – Gaudí’s life work, which is still under construction even after his death. It is supposed to be finished in 2020. It is an amazing work and I could see why it has taken so long to complete – the details are amazing!

The next day (Saturday), I wanted to try to see the Dalí museum that is a two-hour bus ride from Barcelona, but I could not figure out how to get on the train. My friend Kerry and I went to the station with every intention of getting there, but could not figure it out! So we decided to just spend the day touring Barcelona, which worked out just as well. We went to the Picasso museum, the Chocolate museum (our ticket was a chocolate bar!) and the Gaudí park – Parc Guell. Everything was beautiful but I especially loved the park. I wish there wouldn’t have been so many people there, but it was still great to see and experience. Kerry and I then proceeded to walk back to our hostel, which was great until it had been an hour and we were only half way there. We had been walking around all day and were getting tired. We were on a mission to get to the Christopher Columbus Monument but had to give up when it started getting darker and our legs started getting more and more tired.

Everything about Barcelona was great…except when I lost my phone! Saturday night we went to this famous discoteca that is 7 floors – called Razzmatazz. It was very cool but also very expensive. So Kerry and I decided to leave early and were on our way out to catch a cab. The entire weekend I had been extremely careful with all of my things because Barcelona is known for its pick-pocketing. A moment of weakness came upon me as we were searching for a cab and I put my phone in my pocket instead of in my purse. We got a cab and were trying to explain to the driver where we needed to go. I am not sure if my phone slipped out of my pocket in the cab or if I was actually pick-pocketed. Either way, as we were walking back to the hostel I noticed a man brush up against the side of me. Ten seconds later I realized I had not put my phone back in my purse. That’s when I reached for my phone and it was not there. Now whether it was actually stolen or if it fell out in the cab, I will never know.

It was a life lesson that is for sure. It could have been a lot worse. I guess if I could pick any valuable to loose, my phone would probably be it. Hopefully now I won’t loose anything else (knock on wood!). 26 euros later I have a new phone, got to keep my same number and saved the credit I had on it before. Whew! What an emotional experience. I loved Barcelona, but spent a lot of money there!

No comments:

Post a Comment