12 February 2009

OPCIONES

Sometimes I wonder if I make the right decisions. I have so many options here and so far I have no regrets on what I have chosen to do. For some reason, this week I feel like I have had so many options to choose from and each one has seemed to be very difficult. I don’t know if it’s because it is the halfway point in the program or what, but I am starting to feel I have so many things I want to do still and so little time.

Tonight, there is one thing I know for certain that I made the right decision for myself. Tonight, I could have gone with some friends to a local bar for some drinks and tapas after we had a tour and studied a bit. I wasn’t very hungry and it was getting late so I decided to just come home and be with Sayto. What a great choice I made!

I got home and Sayto’s neighbor’s daughter was over, whom I have met many times. She and Sayto both love Italy and love that I am going there after the program. Every day Sayto brings me a new book about Italy or Florence or Rome – she has so many, it is great to look at the photos and try to read the text! Anyway, her neighbors have an internet connection so we went over there to see pictures of Italy. When they first said they wanted to show me pictures, I thought they had a certain site in mind that we could go right to, but no, this was not the case. We spent about and hour and a half on google searching for different images. I finally taught them that you can click on the imágenes tab and see only pictures, and that helped a lot. Halfway through our time there, the husband/father brought out a plate of jamón (ham), a very typical Spanish thing to do with 3 glasses of vino for the three “mujeres guapas.” That wine was the best wine I think I have ever had. It was very strong, but very sweet and rich. And the ham was great too – I’m getting accustomed to eating ham and I am starting to like more and more.

The point of this little story was to show that if I would have gone to that comfortable little bar that I have been to many times, I would not have had this great authentic experience. There have been many choices I’ve had, but I think it is a matter of making the best of every situation and keeping an open mind about everything.

This weekend I have the opportunity to go to Cordoba with friends or stay in Toledo. I have decided to stay in Toledo and be a tourist here – I feel like I still haven’t seen all the sites here so I am going to spend the weekend here – and possibly make a day trip to Madrid to see a museum I have been wanting to see since I have been here. I’ll let you know on Sunday if I made the right decision!

No comments:

Post a Comment