04 February 2009

Luis

The day I met Luis definitely had its ups and downs, literally. I was very confused during fiction class and also very frustrated, but I have learned to try to work past the frustration and I think I actually understood the story we read…eventually. Luckily I only had that class to worry about. So I decided to use my extra time to finally start my online requirement called AVE. It is supposed to help us learn Spanish through situational exercises. Anyway, I am very behind on it since I have to do it while I am at school because you need the internet to complete it. This had its ups and downs and I eventually gave up for the day to let my brain relax. As I was walking home from school, I fell down the stairs (literally a down in the day). I was by myself, but two nice Spanish girls helped me up and made sure I was ok, which I was, minus the scratches on my arms and the impending bruise. Then I came home to Sayto, my new host mom (who I love!) and showed her my scratches. I think she used to work in the medical field or something to do with a hospital…but either way, she “fixed” me with some ointment and besos (kisses).

We ate lunch, we took a siesta (well, me not so much – I really just rested my eyes and body), and I was back off to the school. I decided that since I had experienced a few set backs in my day I deserved a little treat. I stopped in a store I have been in before that is on my way to school. They sell mostly food and little candies and drinks. I walked in and said hello to the man behind the counter, grabbed an agua grande with confidence and considered my options for treats. After choosing one, I placed my items on the counter to check out. At first the man did not tell me how much my total was but instead asked if I was a student, to which I replied sí, en la Universidad de Castilla La Mancha. Our conversation continued for about 10 or 15 minutes. I learned that he has been studying English for about 6 years, but claims he knows nothing. I told him about where I live and what I study. He seemed very upset that I am not going to be a sports journalism writer. Sorry. Finally, he asked me for my name and I asked for his, Luis, he responded, pero es Lewis en inglés. We said our good byes and I headed for school. I think I like that store. I want to become a regular. Hopefully when I go back Luis will remember my name. That was the ultimate “up” of the day. Thanks Luis for your 10 minutes of patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment