29 January 2009

Belly Dancing!

Those of you who know me know that I have taken a lot of dance classes throughout my life. I have taken ballet, jazz, tap, modern, pilates, yoga, etc. But these classes have all been taught in English. Now imagine taking a dance class in another language and add in the fact that it is a belly dancing class! That was our group yesterday.

I was a little timid to take this belly dancing class, but figured, why not take it? When else would I have the opportunity to not only learn how to belly dance, but also take a dance class in Spanish? It ended up being a great experience and a fun distraction from the loads of homework I knew I had to finish.

Our teacher was great and full of energy. Each one of us was given a skirt with beads on it ”so that we could feel our hips and bottoms moving.” That set the tone for the rest of the class. Belly dancing is a surprisingly good work out – I was definitely a little sore the next day. A lot of what our teacher said I didn’t completely understand, but could watch her movements in order to know what to do. We learned a few different movements and steps that I was not good at, but it was still fun to laugh at each other…no one really knew what they were doing. Hopefully we will be able to take some more classes and get better!

I am about to move to a new house - wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment