21 January 2009

...of my life

This post is titled “…of my life” because a lot of things that have happened to me recently have ended in this phrase. Some have been better than others and some more significant than others, but all have been learning experiences.

1. The coldest shower of my life: Last night I took a shower that was so cold, the only thing I could stand to do was wash my hair. It was so cold I almost started hyperventilating because I felt like I could breath. That is one thing that I still have not gotten used to – I like my long, warm showers in the U.S.
What I learned from this: Breath more, even if it is cold

2. Saw the coolest place: My last post about La Alhambra holds true – simply amazing.
What I learned: Travel to places you want to see because there could be cooler places out there

3. Ate rabbit for the first time in my life: Yesterday for lunch we had a piece of meat that resembled chicken, but did not really taste like chicken. When I asked what it was, Isabel said, “conejo.” My mind immediately went to 7th grade Spanish class when we learned about animals and pets. I frantically searched for what type of animal it was and it hit me: rabbit, bunny. AH! I just ate a bunny! But it was good…so it didn’t really bother me except that I kept thinking I was eating someone’s pet.
What I learned: Try things before you ask what they are. I don’t think I would have enjoyed it if I had known ahead of time that I was eating “ears” the bunny.

4. Scariest bus ride of my life: I have gotten accustomed to taking the bus, it’s not my favorite thing to do, but it is basically my only option. Anyway, this morning I caught the bus a little bit earlier than usual – around 8am instead of 8:15am. I could see that the bus was full, but that is normal for the morning. However, I didn’t realize just how packed it was. I stepped on the bus fully prepared with my card (I am a professional at scanning it now), I scanned it, laughed at Rihanna blasting through the speakers, and attempted to make my way to the back. This was not possible. All I could see were faces and bodies in every possible spot to stand or sit on the bus. A man was blocking the aisle way, followed by more and more people. I had no where to go but stand at the front, right next to the driver. He told me to move a little, so I turned and hit someone with my backpack. The drive to the plaza is hard enough to stay still, let alone in the front of the bus with nothing to hold on to and people pushing every time the bus moves.
What I learned: Take a different bus

No comments:

Post a Comment