19 January 2009

Granada y La Alhombra


When I first arrived in Granada, it seemed like a very dirty city. However, once I got to the hostel, everything changed. The hostel was in a perfect location – close to major plazas in the city and close to the Alhombra. Granada is a beautiful city and very different from Toledo. It is much bigger and seems a little more modern.

The reason most people visit Granada is to see the Alhombra. I now know why this is the case. On any given day, only a certain amount of people are admitted to the Alhombra, and in strict time slots. Most of these people have reservations in advance. Our group did not make reservations, figuring that we could possibly get them from our hotel or walk in since it is the off season for tourists. However, we soon learned from our nice hostel check in that we would not be able to simply walk in. He informed us that we should go early around 7 or 7:30am to stand in line to ensure that we could get a time slot for the day. Turns out he was right and I am so glad I got up at 7 to go stand in line. It was well worth the time in line and the 12 euros to get in. Our time slot was for 2pm later that day, so we went back to bed for a little bit to prepare for the long day of walking ahead. I did not really know what to expect before going which made it even more exciting.

Words and pictures cannot begin to describe how I felt at the Alhombra. This place, which is most famous for its Moorish palace, is incredible. There is also a fort, gardens and the palace of King Charles the 5th within the grounds. If you ever have a chance to see it, you should never pass it up. The palace is famous for its use of water and its many detailed tiles and ceilings. I took 300 pictures total while at the Alhombra. Everything was so amazing - I couldn’t help but take that many pictures. I could not have asked for a more perfect day either – the weather was gorgeous – blue skies and sunny. I even took my coat off for a little bit. I think this place is the best place I have ever been to in my life. It was so relaxing to just walk around and experience everything. The entire complex was so beautiful. Again, I don’t know how to explain it in words…it was truly an unforgettable experience.

This weekend trip was a great way to start my trip in Spain. I did not experience any setbacks or obstacles and everything went smoothly. I hope all other travels are this memorable. I will try to figure out how to post pictures on this blog. If not, they will definitely be on facebook soon. Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment