25 January 2009

The World is SO Small

Friday night, I had the coolest moment of my life.

We spent the weekend in Valencia – a very modern, but old, pretty city. On Friday night, we did a pub crawl that a couple of the hostels participate in – it was a great deal and a good way to meet a lot of different people. We paid 10 euros and got whisked away to 3 different bars where we got free and discounted drinks at each one and free entry to a discoteca. The total group was about 50 people, I think. Some of the people on the tour were students from the University of Florida! Instantly I thought of the Lovells and Allyson! This was seriously amazing and I swear I am not making this up. I start asking around to see if there are any connections to Allyson. I don’t really get anywhere until we start talking Greek. I remembered that Allyson’s boyfriend is a SigEp and I know that she is a KD. Everyone says they love the KDs but no one in their group is in it. So I go to plan B, SigEp. I find out that one of the guys from UF is a SigEp…jackpot! I go over to talk to this guy, Jesse was his name, and sure enough he knows Alex (Allyson’s boyfriend)! How incredible is that? I was so excited at the time – the world is so small. I am still amazed that this happened. WOW.

Other than that strange, exciting moment, Valencia was fairly calm. Besides all of our travel mishaps, it was a really great, relaxing weekend. It felt like we were in Florida on some kind of break. The weather was amazing and the city was beautiful. It seems like a very young, hip town. We met a lot of people from all over the world. The hostel we stayed in was perfect – about 11 euros a night and we had our own bathroom. It’s the best deal I have experienced thus far. We saw the beach on our last day there – the water was cold and it was incredibly windy, but it was so much fun to be at a beach in January! Overall, it was a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment