15 January 2009

Ya esta Deborah!

Some of you may have heard of a mysterious woman named Deborah who I thought was coming to live with us. Turns out I was right. She arrived late Tuesday night and is staying in our living room. This is a little awkward…especially in the mornings when I have to get up early and she is still sleeping where I am eating breakfast. However, she seems very nice, but I can barely understand her. She talks really really really fast and has a different accent than other people I have heard. Deborah became an ongoing joke in the group since I knew so little about her and didn’t really understand if she was coming to stay with us or just to visit. However the mystery is solved, but I still do not know how long she will be here…hopefully long enough so that I can begin to understand her.

In other news, we have had two tours since I last wrote – both of which were in Toledo. They were both very interesting, but very cold. One focused on the River Tajo, which surrounds the city on three sides and is one of the major reasons people came to settle in Toledo. The other tour focused on the three religious groups that have defined the city – the Muslims, Jews and Christians. Throughout the city you can see the influence of all three groups based on the architecture styles of the cathedrals/churches. The city has such a complex past, but most of it can still be seen through its buildings. Like I said before, they are always restore old buildings, but hardly ever building new ones.

This weekend we have planned a trip to Granada! I am very excited about this trip and to be able to explore another city. Granada is south of Toledo and is best known for the Alhombra, which is an intricate palace. I will update on that experience later – wish me luck!

Things I am so glad I brought:
Ugg Boots – as unstylish as they are here, they keep my feet warm on the long rutas (tours)
Hand Sanitizer – thanks to Grandma who put some in my Christmas presents! This has come in very handy in a variety of situations – mostly on when riding public transportation or after petting cats.
My long puffy black jacket – this jacket has kept me warm many a day in the city and is also very “in” here – everyone has a long jacket
Medicine from home – the pharmacies here are a little confusing and benedryl has helped me sleep
Scarves – I just change them out daily and have a new outfit!
Pictures – enough said

Things I wish I had brought:
The playing cards Grandma gave me – when packing I was worried that cards would take up too much space so I left them at home thinking I could buy some here if necessary. However, there is no general store here which sells these sorts of things and with no internet, cards are good to have
Febreeze – My clothes always smell like smoke – gross!

No comments:

Post a Comment